Wednesday, April 03, 2024

Jesus Says, Feed My Sheep -- in Gaza


                                                                          Gaza Relief Airdrop 

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.”  He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.

John 21: 15-17 NRSVue 

 More and more I realized that quelling my personal fires of rage is a vital spiritual practice. I'm not a nonsense conspiracy theorist about vaccinations and I don't have false notions that my freedoms, including freedom of religion.I do get angry about politicians and others who stoke "us and them" fears and my blood boils when innocent people, especiallly children, are threatened and killed. 

I am struggling mightily over news that seven food aid workers from the wonderful food agencey called World Central Kitchen were killed in Gaza. They were in a convoy of clearly marked trucks with even a WCL logo on the top of the vehicles. The organization had communicated the time and route of the convoy. Despite this Israeli missiles destroyed the trucks and these courageous, compassionate people.

More than 30,000 Gazans have died since the Israeli offensive began, including at least ten children for every Israeli killed in the terrible Hamas attacks last October 7th. This war of retribution has destroyed Gaza's infrastructure and now children are dying of starvation. Air drops of food have actually killed people on the ground when parachutes didn't deploy and others have drowned swimming out to retrieve packages in the sea. This is a nightmare that supposedly civilized countries committed to international laws are unwilling to address. 

Two years ago I wrote about the documentary called We Feed Peopleabout the work of World Central Kitchen, with the founder, Chef Jose Andres , front and centre. Andres prefers to be called a cook, but he had a meteoric rise as a celebrity chef in the United States, even though he is originally from Spain. Along with starting a bunch of high-end restaurants Andres became a media star and published books and that could have been the story of his accomplished life.

In 2010 he decided to respond to the devastation in Haiti brought about by the earthquake. He wanted to feed people so went to Haiti even though he had no experience in disaster relief. His restaurants specialize in presenting exquisitely arrayed, tiny portions of food for well-heeled patrons to savour.  In Haiti he quickly learned how to feed large numbers of people, stumbling his way into the best ways to respond. 

WCF was to partner with other organizations to provide millions of meals in Gaza. Because of this disaster they have withdrawn. And we need to keep in mind that since the war began nearly 200 aid workers have died, as well as many doctors and nurses. This is a humanitarian tragedy and I don't know whether to weep or roar or both. 

Below is the link to the blog I wrote in 2022. I speak of the commitment of Jesus to feed the hungry and his warning that when we ignore those who are oppressed we are ignoring him. Today I'm mindful that during the Easter season we often hear of how after his death and resurrection Jesus appeared to his disciples who had returned to fishing on Galilee and that he told Peter to "feed" my sheep."

For the love of decency, and the love of Jesus, we can't turn away from this horror. I pray for those brave workers, including the American/Canadian who died, and for those who loved them. I pray for those who are literally caught in the crossfire of vengeance. I pray that nations will demonstrate the courage to decry what is unfolding. 

https://lionlamb-bowmanville.blogspot.com/2022/05/please-watch-we-feed-people.html




2 comments:

roger said...

Israel is wanting to wipe out Hamas. I get it. The October 7th attack was horrific and barbaric. But this is not the way to do it. Killing thousands of innocent civilians, many of whom are children? Netanyahu needs to go.

Do you think any of the family members of those who've been killed by the IDF will ever want to support the Israeli government in any way? Not by a long stretch. I'm worried that some of those family members will take matters into their own hands to avenge their losses, which will only make matters worse - if they can get much worse.

David Mundy said...

Agreed Roger. Gaza and the West Bank have become open air prison camps. Yes, there are terrorists with the populations but most people just want to find a way to live from day to day. What in unfolding is thoughtless revenge. There is no long-term plan, no end game -- unless it is annihilation.