Sunday, April 07, 2024

Trees of Life


                                                              British Columbia Rainforest 

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month, and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 

                                     Revelation 22:1-2 NRSVue

We'll soon head out to Trenton where I'll preside at worship and be "out of my tree." Actually I'll be in the woods, metaphorically speaking, starting out Earth Month with praise for the wondrous trees and forests of our world. Trees tend to be the "strong silent type" of our existence, absolutely essential to our existence. They are beautiful and useful and a key element in combatting global heating and the climate emergency. 

I will share with the congregation my experience at the Little Forest seminar I attended in Napanee a month ago with about 75 other curious and eager souls. 

As regular readers know, we've made a conscious effort to notice the trees around us every day and to pause and give thanks to the Creator when we walk or paddle amongst them. 

Wherever you are today, take a moment to look around and up in appreciation of your tree neighbours. Look for the emerging buds and the promise they hold, which can be signs of Easter hope and "living with respect in Creation." 

2 comments:

roger said...

Ironically, I'll be taking a chainsaw to a tree today. It was downed a couple of months ago - a good sized cedar about 18 inches diameter - on a very windy day in the county. But during those two months, I've seen a woodpecker take great interest in it. He better get his final pecks in, it won't be in our backyard much longer(the tree, not the bird). Love trees, always saddens me to see one downed or killed by the ash borer.

David Mundy said...

I hope you wear the proper protective gear, Roger -- to protect you from the angry woodpecker. Ya, the ash borer situation is a tragedy.