Friday, April 23, 2010

Healing Prayer


At bible study on Wednesday we discussed a passage from the Acts of the Apostles which is a blockbuster healing story. A woman of faith named Tabitha dies and her friends mourn her death. They send a couple of men off to find Peter, the disciple of Jesus, and he travels a distance to get to them. He enters Tabitha's room alone and prays for her, and they emerge together. She has been raised from the dead, the ultimate healing.

We had what I found to be a stimulating conversation about prayers for healing, and the difference between healing and curing. A number of personal stories were shared amongst this group of women I admire greatly. They are "down to earth" and "heavenly-minded" at the same time. Some have experienced considerable losses and two cherished members of the group have died in the last year or so, affecting us all. I presided at both funerals and most of these women attended the services. Yet we continue to pray. I offered that while I am often puzzled and mystified as to what to pray, I can't not pray. Bad grammar, but you get the idea.

At the end I invited one of the members who is losing her sight into the centre of our circle and we joined around her in prayer. I found it a very emotional experience. She didn't claim remission of symptoms, but she knew she was loved by the others and by God.

Do you pray for the healing of others? Yourself? Does prayer matter?

4 comments:

Laura said...

yes, yes and yes....in answer to your questions. Prayer comes in many forms, but the clasping of hands and hearts that we shared on Wednesday "mattered" deeply to both the recipient and the participants, I believe.
I've even dared to pray some bigger prayers again since our discussion.Thanks for your faithful leadership, always.

Susan said...

A most resounding and emphatical yes - prayer matters and is vitally important. Prayer is about creating a relationship with God - our creator. It is about creating time to be with God and giving God space in our lives. Prayer is not always about us talking to God - it should also be about giving God space to speak to us - listening for that 'still silent voice'.

Deborah Laforet said...

Yes, I do believe prayer makes a difference. When we pray, we are taking time out to be with the Divine and when we pray for others, we are thinking about others and not ourselves.

When we are prayed for, we can't help but feel loved, by those praying and by God.

I also believe that when we pray, there is an energy at work. The more people who pray, the more energy. I like to think of this energy as the Spirit at work, although I know others may see it as something else.

David Mundy said...

I appreciate your responses. I wondered when comments were a little slower in coming for this one, but this is a sensitive subject which requires thought. Your comments are all thought-full.

I'm glad you were part of the holy moment I described Laura.