Monday, April 05, 2010

Shared Meals



During yesterday's second Easter service we joined in our meal of faith, which is communion. From that family celebration we proceeded to another convivial meal, a turkey dinner in our own home with loved ones. It is important to connect the Jesus supper with the meals we share together. When we break bread together it is a holy moment, if we allow that to happen.

We opened windows to let in the glorious weather and doing so made me think of one of our best meals, ever. While we were living in Halifax friends graciously extended the use of their summer home to us over the Thanksgiving weekend, since they were living at a distance. it is situated on the ocean, near a national park and within a bird sanctuary (pictured above.)

The rest of my family went there on the Friday and I joined them with a couple of other friends after Sunday worship. It was a remarkable, balmy weekend so we opened every window in the place at mealtime, which allowed us to hear the wind in the trees and the water of the bay rolling in on shore.

The combination of wonderful food and conversation, along with the sensual quality of the surroundings gave a magical feel to the event. I can close my eyes and imagine the setting and the sense of the day. We have shared other marvellous meals in that place with the owners as well.

Did you share in a meaningful meal this weekend? Do you have recollections of memorable dinners through the years?

7 comments:

Laurie said...

My Easter dinner was shared with 12 other people in a small town in a small pub in Cornwall. We were all from different countries, all sharing the meal. It was fun. At the end of the meal there was some singing. A different Easter but meaningful all the same.

Susan said...

I have shared one traditional Easter meal on Good Friday and one non-traditional meal this afternoon. The most memorable meal that I remember is a communion with apples and apple juice at a Christmas YOuth retreat in Cedar Glen many years ago. What I remember about holiday family meals is that Mom welcomed all to the table and if she knew or found out during worship that someone would be alone then Mom insisted that they join us for the holiday or family celebration meal. Often, our holiday and family celebration meals would include immediate family, extended family and neighbours. Part of my memories of those celebratory meals was the visiting and story telling by all ages in the big old-fashioned kitchen while mom and I finished preparing the meal and setting the table. It wasn't the food but the being together, the sharing, the laughter, and the listening to each other that has colored my memories so joyfully.

Laura said...

We did enjoy a family meal around the dining room table(that used to be in my grandmother's house). The food and memories filled me up.
I enjoyed a walk after dinner, and loved catching glimpses and sounds of families still gathered around their tables in the glow of warm light and laughter.... magical, as you say.

David Mundy said...

Ah Cornwall, emerald green hillsides, and deep blue seas -- what's not to like? Of course the weather has not been gentle in Britain lately. I'm glad you discovered some other foundlings for a shared meal Laurie.

Thanks for the reminder of hospitality at the table Susan. I wonder if that spiritual gift was practiced more often in past decades.

A nice thought of enjoying the meals of others during a lovely evening walk Laura.

Nancy said...

We shared a meal with loved ones. My memories of family meals are always those my mother has prepared. However, this Easter she was physically unable to prepare the meal, so although we were together, it was me who prepared the meal. In my eyes, not the same as mom, as I can't do the potatoes the way she does, even though I followed her verbal instructions. As parents age, I am mindful that it is those who follow who continue with the traditions of meal time. While my parents are still with us, I still have much to learn.

Deborah Laforet said...

The past three years have been times of celebrating the holidays without extended family. The four of us have been discovering ways to celebrate on our own.

This year, for both Thanksgiving and Easter, we invited two ministers from neighbouring pastoral charges who also far from family. We had a wonderful time, both times. It was good for me to be on the hospitable side of things, to be doing the inviting, cooking, serving, etc.

As we live so far from family, it has been very meaningful for us to create our own family.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for these additions to the conversation. I hope there are still more.