Wednesday, April 07, 2010

L'Eglise Unie du Canada

There has been some good natured banter going on with our son, Isaac, who lives in Montreal with his wife Rebekah. Recently Isaac was interviewed on film in both English and French by the United Church, and now the English interview is on Youtube. He assumes the French interview will follow. The purpose was to showcase a candidate for the ministry who is living in French-speaking Canada, has attended one of our few French language congregations, and offered leadership in both official languages.

I suppose I am biased but I think he does a really good job. He admitted that the "min-doc" contains a lot of staged scenes and I wondered why the questions didn't invite him into a more God-talk. Still, as someone whose ability to speak French is restricted to cereal boxes, I though it turned out well.

The banter was around his saintliness in the documentary. He wondered when they were going to do the scene where he parted the waters of the Red Sea. I reminded him that they do walk as a couple between the snowbanks of downtown Montreal.

Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-alhoO8QG-I It's worth it just to see me with a full head of dark hair and Ruth as a redhead!

Any thoughts? Did you realize that we have French-speaking congregations in the United Church? Have you heard that our General Council plans to expand that ministry?

5 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

Having been at General Council in August, I was one of the commissioners who enthusiastically voted in favour of the proposal on French ministries. There was a lot of excitement around this new initiative at the time, and I hope it continues.

I am also now on a permanent committee where we are very engaged in pushing this proposal forward. It will be interesting to see what will unfold.

Nancy said...

I wouldn't have thought there were no French language United Churches in Canada. A part of my thinking I guess, having lived and worked in French communities. Great video, you have bragging rights, you are of course his father!!:)

roger said...

Nice video David - you should be very proud. That was a nice family photo around the 5 minute mark.

I'm confused about one thing, however. I wasn't sure at the 42 second mark, if that was you or John Lennon! Sorry, I just couldn't resist..

Laurie said...

Johnny, I am glad you made the John Lennon comment, I was also thinking that! Good video.

David Mundy said...

Yah, so everybody is a comedian. I love it! Listen, I'm nostalgic for the day when I had hair that would blow in the breeze.

Thanks for the comments and the responses through email. It's a bit of a surprise to realize that one's "kids" are adults with talents and skills that they have developed all on their own -- that French thing, who knew?

I'm glad you're on that committee Deb. Most of the UCC congregations in Quebec are English-speaking Nancy, but this can be an opportunity to expand the French ministry, not only in Quebec but in Manitoba.