Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Other Cheek


You may have heard that the late Jackie Robinson, the first black man to break the colour barrier in Major League Baseball, was honoured yesterday in MLB ballparks. For the day every player was number 42, the number Robinson wore.

In the 1940's there was a "gentleman's agreement" (some gentlemen) to keep people of colour off MLB teams. Branch Rickey, a devout Christian, and president of the Brooklyn Dodgers, decided that this discrimination had to end, so he searched nationwide for the ideal African American man, one talented enough to play on major league teams and well-enough adjusted within himself to withstand the attacks sure to come in the racially prejudiced setting. Rickey chose Robinson, who was playing in the minors, and essentially interrogated him for hours about his ability to withstand the verbal abuse and prejudice.

Robinson was concerned that people would think he had no guts if he put up with the abuse. Rickey responded by saying he was looking for someone who had the guts to "turn the other cheek" quoting from Jesus and the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew.

Rickey believed in Robinson's talent but he also exacted a promise of extreme patience and forbearance for three years, then offered him a contract. On October 23, 1945, Rickey made the historic announcement that Jackie Robinson, a black man, would play for the Montreal Royals, the minor league affiliate of the Brooklyn Dodgers. " Robinson went on to star in "The Show."

I was surprised to read that 25 years ago a little over a quarter of big league players were black, but today that percentage is a shade under ten. Maybe we haven't come all that far.

I admire both Rickey and Robinson but honestly, it's hard to imagine enduring that sort of discrimination without becoming consumed by anger. It seems to me that there is a difference between "grin and bear it" and "turn the other cheek." How do you do when it comes to turning the other cheek? Are you any good at turning away from escalating conflict, without resentment or bitterness?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I have found "turning the other cheek" easier (but not easy) as I grow and learn on my faith journey...and it to be a great reward of that journey...that being said as a white,Christian middle- class Canadian I don't know much of such discrimination..my issues much smaller....
Thanks for this story...I knew Robinson to be the first African American to play major ball but wasn't familiar that he was sought out for that very reason.

David Mundy said...

Interesting observation Laura. I wonder if we generally get better or worse at the "other cheek" thing with the passage of time.

David Mundy said...

This from reader Bill in an email: TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK: I AM GETTING BETER AT THIS.EVEN THOUGH I NOW HAVE THE TIME IT IS NOT WORTH WASTING IT ON CONCERNING YOUR SELFOF THE MANY TRIVIAL . THINGS THAT COME YOUR WAY LIKE NEIGHBOUR HOOD GOSIP OR SOMEONES CAUSTIC REMARKS.I GUESS I TRY TO BOTH IGNORE AND FEEL SORRY FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO PRACTICE AND WASTE THEIR LIVES IN THESE PRACTICES..I TRY TO BE MORE FORGIVING THAN I ONCE WAS.I DO BELIEVE THAT IF ONE DOES NOT LEARN TO FORGIVE THAT IT WILL END UP HURTING HIM MORE THAT THE PERSON WHO MAY HAVE CAUSED THE HURT IN THE FIRST PLACE I DO FIND MYSELF AVOIDING SITUATIONS THAT I FIND TROUBLING.