Friday, September 10, 2010

As Many Questions As Answers


The legislature in Quebec is debating assisted suicide and euthanasia, essentially asking whether laws prohibiting both need to change. This is an important discussion for any civilized society to have periodically, but perhaps even more necessary in a day when human life can be prolonged by many procedures and treatments. We are probably agreed that that extension can add days and weeks and even months to a person's life, but not always quality or dignity.

I have been opposed to the legalization of both assisted suicide and euthanasia through the years, although not without much soul-searching. Obviously we don't want the dying to suffer, but ultimately someone must be the decision maker and it puts family members under even more strain in emotionally fraught times, and physicians into roles they don't want. As a minister I have talked and prayed with many people faced with the end of life, as well as with their families, and sense that talking through the issues of dying and death makes a difference. Isolation is a huge issue. I have seen mortally ill individuals move from this life to the next with dignity and even humour with the help of family and friends.

I am also convinced that well delivered and supportive palliative care is essential, and it is interesting that even in jurisdictions which sanction euthanasia, most offer excellent end-of-life care as an alternative. I do understand why people want a say in their own deaths but this is rarely as straightforward as we might think.

There is nothing easy about this! What are your thoughts? Should we offer opportunities to discuss this in the church?

4 comments:

roger said...

I do think this could be discussed in church, but what a tough topic.

One can think of what he/she would do in a situation in which euthanasia might be considered, but it is one thing to think about it when not caught up in the stress and emotions of it all and quite another when actually faced with it. I do feel quality of life is an important factor, however.

To quote Benny Hill, when asked what he thought of euthanasia: "I think they are very fine people."

Laurie said...

The more society talks about death and dying the easier the decisions will be. I believe everyone has the right to make their own choices. If the family knows ahead of time and it has been discussed with them, then I believe the person has the right to euthanasia. I agree with Johnny this should be discussed in church.
To end with a quote as Johnny did:

"Just as I shall select my ship when I am about to go on a voyage, or my house when I propose to take a residence, so I shall choose my death when I am about to depart from life."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Laura said...

I struggle with this one greatly.

I know I have joked that our pets often have a better ending than we do, as we most often assist them "away" when they are old and/or in great pain. I have reconciled with myself that this is what my pet would want me to do yet sometimes I think it truly is just the practical decision because there is no corporate pallative care for pets so my choice is really very limited.

But perhaps because there are choices, I can't see it that way for humans.

Maybe also it is that society generally accepts killing animals to eat or for hunting but with human life, in my heart that is God's call, not mine.

As I spend time with doctors in geratric centres, I am comforted with the thought that does go into end of life care management if we are open to the discussion. And yes, churches should join in the discussion because as you say, David, to me it is far more complicated than it appears.

David Mundy said...

I listened to a doctor who has worked in the field of palliative care for thirty years. He feels that the dying do deserve a choice, and is also convinced that ter option of palliative care is essential.

We are planning a funeral seminar this Fall. Maybe a discussion of end of life issues around the same time.

Thanks for your responses.