Monday, September 13, 2010

Meaningful Work


On Labour Day last Monday CBC radio commented through the day on the number of young adults heading back to school having been unemployed or underemployed through the summer. The recession not only hit those in the fulltime work force, it reduced the number of summer jobs available. We experienced this in our own family. Both our daughters, into their twenties, experienced difficulty finding work where they wanted to work this past summer. One was promised full-time summer employment which turned out to be part-time because of slow retail sales. So at the invitation of former employers she came home and worked two jobs, usually totalling 50 to 55 hours a week. It was demanding, but she felt she needed to catch up. She is now back at school.

The other searched and searched, often frustrated that she was only allowed to apply online. It was a face-to-face interview that finally got her a job, but she will need to work during the school year at the same place to make ends meet. Both were surprised because they had never experienced such difficulty before.

The apostle Paul suggests in one of his letters that no one should be a "floater" but that everyone should make a contribution as an honest worker. Jesus told parables about meaningful work, probably because he knew that they would strike a chord. But what if work isn't available? What does it do to a person's sense of self-worth, not to mention the bank account?

Do you know of young people who were challenged in finding work this summer? Have you struggled to find a job that is meaningful work?

5 comments:

IanD said...

First off, apologies David, for not responding more - though I have been reading, er, religiously. Am finally back into the b2s groove, so I can contribute more to your blog.

As a student 10+ years ago, I would take any job under the sun: landscaper, rink rat, babysitter, lawncutter, gas station attendant ... nothing was outside my comfort zone if it meant a little extra hustle would equal a little more cash, and ultimately, a little less student debt. My siblings, in turn did likewise.

In today's economic climate (better than most here in Canada, but still sluggish as you suggest) I'd hope that our present student populice would make like your kids have and just go for whatever works. Good on 'em.

Go girls!

Nancy said...

Having 2 nephews in university, the one travelled west this summer to find work and loved being a boat boy at a lodge north of Jasper-according to his roommates at university he made $$. The other took what he could get which included scooping Ben and Jerry's icecream for 12 hours straight for 10 days of a tennis tournament. Not a lot of $, but any little bit helps. It has been tough for all the young people and as a parent who will sooner than I think, have a university bound student, I'm saving more than my parents ever did. Sign of the times.!!

David Mundy said...

At least for students there is the prospect of more meaningful work down the road.

It's interesting that two teachers responded (thanks.) We have a young teacher in the congregation who has worked for two years since graduation and had a maternity leave lined up for this year. Unfortunately that job fell through and this lovely young woman is searching for a job. It's tough in so many fields these days.

Susan said...

Having been unemployed for over 18 months and having sent out resumes for new career openings as well as previously employed openings and not getting any responses, I am in the process of redefining what work and meaningful employment means. For the past 30 plus years of employment, I have always been employed in work that I found meaningful and that I thoroughly enjoyed and that was able to meet my needs.
I am not sure that will happen now. Until now I have stayed away from restaurant and retail employment because of its part time hours and low pay that will not meet my needs.
My self esteem has taken some major blows in the past 2 years, because one's identity is tied to one's work/job.
The fact is I wouldn't mind going back into the retail work but even full time retail can not support me as a single person and I don't have a car.
Many of my university and college friends who are recent grads and who have not got work in their chosen fields; have got back for further education at the college level, taken part time in their chosen or related field, or found part time work in the service or retail field while living at home with family.
I don't think I will be alone in redefining what meaningful work means.

David Mundy said...

Thank you for adding this perspective Susan. It isn't just young people who are searching for a way through the employment wilderness.