Tuesday, September 21, 2010

World Alzheimer's Day


Today is World Alzheimer's Day. I regularly see how deeply dementia and Alzheimer's affect people, both the sufferers and families. There are 35 million people around the world living with Alzheimers, which is the most common form of dementia. A new case is diagnosed on average every seven seconds.

These are significant facts, but for me this day is a reminder of all those I have known through the years who have struggled with this debilitating and cruel disease. I can picture many of these folk, and many of them have been people I have come to know well and for whom I had and have great affection.

I think of a man in our congregation who still gets out to events, including worship, but struggles to do so. A very sociable guy, he admitted to me during a visit that his inability to remember names of those he has known for years is frustrating.

On Sunday I encouraged everyone to become better informed, to visit or call someone who has dementia (even if that person is no longer aware) and to offer support to a caregiver. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/dementia/

Any comments from your experience today?

2 comments:

Laura said...

I know your "plug" on Sunday really touched us.
Interesting that my Mom had a special visit today from a wonderful couple who were summer aquaintances in her latter years of cottaging. I know they've intended to come, and today they arrived. Can't help but wonder if the Globe and Mail articles etc didn't just nudge them our way.

David Mundy said...

Today I heard two of our seniors talking about visiting another elderly member with Alzheimer"s who lives in a nursing home. I hope there are others who are thinking about visits this week. I know this is a regular activity for you Laura. I admire your faithfulness.