Thursday, November 18, 2010

Deafened


The other day I read a news item that made me surprisingly sad. It was about the mysterious phenomenon of beached dolphins, porpoises, and whales. We have all seen pictures of pods of beached cetaceans, usually surrounded by humans who are earnestly sloshing water over them and attempting to return them to the sea. Often when the rescuers achieve this the creatures simply beach themselves again and perish.

The latest research suggests that these mammals are deaf, and for them hearing is as important as sight. It may be old age, or disease, or the effects of the growing din in our oceans and seas. Military testing, as well as gas and oil exploration create intolerable noise levels for many creatures and these intelligent beasts may lose their hearing as a result.

If this latter source is the cause then this is a terrible result of our human ability to create a racket everywhere. We're told that songbirds in urban areas are singing themselves hoarse in an attempt to make themselves heard. Now not even the oceans are refuge for living things.

And what does this say about the world we live in? Are we making so much noise that we can't "hear ourselves think?" Some people claim they can't sleep well when urban noise isn't present. I'm the opposite, feeling that I am restored by quiet. Is it more difficult to be attuned to God when we are addicted or numbed by the racket of daily living?

What is your reaction to the beached dolphin story? Do you think we are "noising" ourselves silly? Would God appreciate a little more air-time?

6 comments:

roger said...

I was recently working at an isolated First Nation community for several days, and really appreciated the peace and quiet. When I came back to Bowmanville, as I walked home from work and approached the intersection of Baseline Rd and Hwy 57, I was shocked at the amount of traffic and noise. My quiet little town of years ago is no more!

I find myself seeking quiet all the time, and discover it is not so easy.

That is sad about these creatures beaching themselves, and if the cause is from humans, then we need to do whatever we can to correct it. The sea is their environment and we need to respect that.

Anonymous said...

That was hard to look at. I don't know why I am mentioning this, but when we had that huge three day power outage a few years ago,one of the worst parts of it for me was the silence. I had no idea how much noise a house running on electricity makes and I felt so completely discombobulated by the silence that I had trouble breathing. I thought I might die from the 'crazies'. It was almost like withdrawal from an addiction. I do like silence, but I have to have control over it. I have to perceive that I can turn the noise back on if it becomes intolerable. I don't know when this happened to me. Before this I had no conception of all of how much noise affected me. I think we don't realize how much we rely on noise, [and silence] and that we are disturbing ALL the important balances of nature.

IanD said...

I remember that time, pupil, and I loved it!

It reminded me of when I was at Queen's in '98, and we experienced the western front of "the Great Ice Storm." My best friend and I camped out in our little house on Earl Street while the rest of our housemates fled back to Toronto.

With classes canceled and much of the city immobilized, I couldn't believe how long the days would stretch, and how eerily peaceful the place was. I've never read, played guitar and enjoyed the company of others more than during that wild time.

Bring on the quiet (just not the ice!)

David Mundy said...

Thank you. I think silence can be unnerving, in part because we are habituated to noise. It can also be liberating. It always takes me some time to enter into silence, and I always benefit in the long run.

Dolores Delgado said...


Are you a business man or woman? Are you in any financial mess or do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need a loan to start a nice Small Scale and medium business? Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks and other financial institutes?.

Our loans are well insured for maximum security is our priority, Our leading goal is to help you get the services you deserve, Our program is the quickest way to get what you need in a snap. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses. Gain flexibility with which you can use for any purpose – from vacations, to education, to unique purchases

We offer a wide range of financial services which includes: Business Planning, Commercial and Development Finance, Properties and Mortgages, Debt Consolidation Loans, Business Loans, Private loans, Home Refinancing Loans with low interest rate at 4.00% per annul for individuals, companies and corporate bodies. Get the best for your family and own your dream home as well with our General Loan scheme.

WE OFFER ALL KIND OF LOANS - APPLY FOR AFFORDABLE LOANS.

Please, contact us for more information: davis_credit100@yahoo.com
Kindly write us back with the loan information;
- Complete Name:
- Loan amount needed...$, €, £:
- Loan Duration:
- Purpose of loan:
- City / Country:
- Telephone:
- Name of the Site:

If you are interested to get a loan then kindly write us with the loan requirement.
Please, contact us for more information: davis_credit100@yahoo.com

Yours Sincerely,
Mrs. Wanda Davis
davis_credit100@yahoo.com
We look forward to hear from you ASAP

Interested applicants should Contact us via email: davis_credit100@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

DO YOU NEED A LOAN Are you a business man or woman? Do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need loan to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a nice business? Do you need funds to finance your project? E-mail: Houstonloanfirm@yahoo.com We Offers guaranteed loan services of any amount and to any part of the world for (Individuals, Companies, Realtor and Corporate Bodies) at our superb interest rate of 3%. For application and more information send replies to the following E-mail address: Houstonloanfirm@yahoo.com