Monday, November 29, 2010

I'll Stick With God

On Friday evening two British celebrities squared off in Toronto, debating the value of religion. On the "religion is a positive force" side was former UK prime minister Tony Blair. On the "religion is a negative force" side was Christopher Hitchens, celebrated journalist and ardent atheist.

Audience members were given the opportunity to vote on the most persuasive argument and as might be expected Hitchens won. I say "as might be expected" for a number of reasons. For one, Hitchens is a formidable debater with a fine intellect, a well-honed rationale, and the ability to pit the best of a non-theist worldview against the worst of religion. Blair is a very bright man with a deep Christian faith but other than the draw of two recognized figures it probably could have been a better debate with any one of a number of others debating Hitchens, including his brother Peter, who is a Christian.

The debate vote reflected a recent poll of people in a number of nations on the influence of faith. In the survey only 36% of Canadians saw religion in a positive light, which makes a certain sense given 911, with its religious extremist connections, along with the steady decline of religious involvement amongst younger Canadians with traditional faith communities. My feeling is that many Canadians have no clue about the good work of the churches historically, nor in the present.
I have largely resigned myself to being a as faithful and creative as possible in my role as pastor and prophet despite the trend. Will the day come when our culture recognizes what I believe is the folly of a materialistic worldview and return to life-giving personal and communal faith? I have no idea. In the meantime I'm sticking with the God revealed in Christ. I see so much evidence of the positive influence of religious communities every day, and I admire the Christians of St. Paul's who are making a difference in the broader community.

Any thoughts about the debate itself? What about the role of religion in today's society?

3 comments:

Laurie said...

It was a really good debate. The idea that only "Christians" do good works was a main point of the debate. Many atheists do good works also. Blair did not come across as having many points in favour of religion, aside from the good works. I enjoyed it.

sjd said...

It's too bad that debates like this are taking place. For Tony Blair to step into it a debate with a professional, who was better prepared is a mistake.
I have friends who have all kinds of negative issues with organized religion, but have faith. Faith in God not in church.
FYI. None of these friends have been to St.Pauls yet.
I didn't see this debate, but I'm interested in what the good part of being an athiest is? You're born, you live, you die. End of story? I can't believe that.

IanD said...

Have to agree with sjd. Tony should have realized he needed to arm himself with more than charisma going into this thing.

It was painful.