Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Emperor of All Maladies


I have read several reviews of a new book called The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer which goes back several thousand years in the history of this disease. This book by Siddhartha Mukherjee is likely a worthwhile but grim read.

Nearly 170,000 Canadians develop new cancers every year and every minister, pastor, and priest ends up walking alongside people living with this disease. There are many other diseases which can be life threatening, but none so common it seems as cancer, or cancers since there are more than 200 variations on the theme.

A couple of weeks ago I did the memorial service for a woman who underwent aggressive treatment a dozen years ago to fight her cancer, but decided when it came back again after a decade that she wasn't willing to enter into the same debilitating medical process again. Her doctors gave her six months this time but she lived two years and died peacefully in her own home. We have other members who are in the fight of their lives against various cancers and I hate to see them going through this. Hate is not too strong a word for what I feel. We pray and offer support but there is nothing easy about this. I often have a sense of the unfairness of cancer and I am truly humbled by the courage and resolve of people.

I like the title of anothr book on the subject, Robert Buckman's Cancer is a Word, Not a Sentence. While I have conducted funerals for many people with cancer, I have watched many recover as well, which is cause for celebration and gratitude.

What are your experiences of cancer? Does this disease frighten you more than others?

6 comments:

IanD said...

It's awful. It's spiteful. It strikes people who deserve a better fate and leaves others alone.

I saw it ravage my uncle firsthand in the span of three months, when he was finally - mercifully - added to the long list of family members who have succumbed to it before him.

I would literally give anything if someday soon a cure could be found.

Deborah Laforet said...

I have never experienced cancer more than I have in the past three years. I don't know if it is because I am living in Saskatchewan or if I am more exposed to it now that I am a minister. I have also walked with people battling this disease. Some recover; some do not. I am currently visiting a 58-year old woman who suddenly discovered cancer throughout her body. She is dying and now entering the final stages. It will be a sorrowful Christmas for the community.

Nan said...

I don't know of many people today who are not affected by cancer, either directly, or through family or friends. One of our family friends has been battling cancer since 2002. He has written a book called "The Wolf at My Door: Cancer in my Body-Cancer in My Mind" by Doug Gosling, which tells of the physical and emotional aspects of living with cancer over a 7 year period of time. It has been quite a journey for Doug and unfortunately it continues and often in a not so positive manner. Doug is the primary blogger on a web site talkingaboutcancer.com and information about his book can be found at talkingaboutcancer.com/the wolf-at-my-door. Cancer is a horrible disease and yes it scares me.

Anonymous said...

My mother died of cancer about 15 years ago, my sister and first cousin also have had cancer. For this reason when a dark mass showed up on one of my scans, my heart immediately fell into my feet before I could even hang up the phone. It's like a dark cloud hanging over me right now. In my case, I am told it probably is not cancer, but still have to keep an eye on it, because of course, you can't take chances. I felt for the first few months that life would never be the same again, but my doctor told me the best I can do is to live my life as I normally would, and that seemed like good advice. It's the only advice really, because anything else would rob me.

dmy said...

The word Cancer brings so many feelings and images to my mind, fear, despair, anger, hurt but also hope when I witness volunteers working diligently whether fund raising selling daffodils locally (many of them St. Paul's people)or nationally. The Terry Fox Run every year brings me to tears, my Mom gave in to this dreadful disease the same year Terry... she was 46 and had battled for 15 months with her new husband and five children at her side. Her two sisters passed away over the next two years of the same disease and recently her much younger brother made it 4 out of 4 in their family that took on the same fight. He is in remission but watchful and hopeful. Pupil...living hopefully, prayerfully and like you said and your Dr. said, normally is your choice to not be robbed. My prayers are with you and yours and everyone else dealing with this disease.

David Mundy said...

Thanks to all of you for sharing so personally and pastorally. It seems to me that the key to all of this is caring for one another on the difficult and frightening journey many face.