Thursday, November 11, 2010

WWAD? What Would Andy Do?


I'm aware that a fair number of readers are young enough that when they hear the name of Ron Howard they probably think of the movie director for some pretty good films such as Cocoon, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, and Frost/Nixon, as well as some successful stinkers like The DaVinci Code. Or maybe you remember him as Richie Cunningham on Happy Days.

For me he is also the child actor who played Opie on the Andy Griffith Show, a wholesome and somewhat corny TV program which ran from 1960 to 1968. I can still whistle the theme song at a moment's notice.

Opie's dad was Andy Taylor, the local sheriff, a wise and patient man with a country-style sense of humour. The small town they inhabited (Mayberry, North Carolina) was filled with characters whose dilemmas seemed benign and comical.

Someone named Joey Fann has written a book of bible studies based on the moral lessons from episodes of this show, sort of cornpone parables on how to lead life honestly and fairly. I can't remember the moral punchlines of those shows but maybe they were there. All I recall is watching every chance I got.

Do you remember the Andy Griffith show? Are you appalled or pleased that someone has found moral messages in these episodes? Is this nostalgia at its worst or best?

7 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

If you can see the face of Jesus on a piece of toast why wouldn't you find a moral message in the Andy Griffith Show. I'm just saying....

roger said...

Better to look at wholesome shows like the Andy Griffith show for moral messages than a lot of the junk shows out there today. There's a reason I don't have cable or satellite tv!

Laura said...

I guess our Hi-C group is kind of doing the same thing, although with current media.

Each Sunday evening the host chooses an appropriate DVD for us to watch. There must be a message for discussion, a reason for watching, beyond pure entertainment. They have enjoyed a wide range of selections and with encouragement,good spiritual discussion follows.

I have vague memories of re-runs of Andy Griffith show. It felt like a comforting show, filled with good and kind people. But my biggest facination was that Opie was played by Richie Cunningham in his childhood.How cool was that!

Seems to me we have to keep our faith in the everyday activites of our lives, so although it can't completely replace an old fashioned, grass roots style of bible study, or attending regular worship, I believe these studies do have a place in our media-drenched world.

Nan said...

I loved the Andy Griffith Show and almost every show had some kind of message. We may not have thought so at the time, but if you look back, there was "Love Your Neighbour" Respect One another, Courtesy, Fairness, Honesty and the list goes on. Kids today might think it a little corny, and it was when you look back, but there was a lot going on there and it's interesting to see that someone has taken the time relate it to scripture.

IanD said...

I used to watch reruns when I went to my grandmother's the odd weekend.

Classic! (And I too can whistle the heck outta that theme.)

dmy said...

I loved watching the Andy Griffith show and it was right up there with "The Donna Reed Show" and "Father Know's Best", all good wholesome entertainment and definitely with a moral message at the end and some humour thrown in too. Today it might be considered corny but when I hear that catchy tune whistled it takes me instantly back to my childhood and a comforting feeling comes over me.

David Mundy said...

I am delighted by these responses. Isn't it interesting that a simple little show from another era could evoke so many memories and such thoughtful comments. I'm now wondering whether I should order the book and the dvd's for a study!

That sounds like a great way to encourage conversation Laura.