Wednesday, February 16, 2011

AI



Tonight will be the third and final evening of an unusual series for the quizz show Jeopardy. For the past two evenings two former multi-million dollar winners faced off against an IBM computer named Watson. For three years Watson has been prepared to be a Jeopardy contestant, an experiment which will give us a glimpse of just how far what is called artificial intelligence has progressed. The first evening was tedious in my estimation, with too much 'splainin' and not enough playin'.

It happens that there was a cover article in the latest United Church Observer magazine about artificial intelligence as an ethical issue. The article was a bit disappointing because it didn't really help us grapple with the ways in which AI might enhance or undermine our notion of humanity in relationship with God. Isn't that what articles in Christian magazines are supposed to do, talk about the God stuff? If we are made in God's image, what do we say when machines exceed our intelligence? At least the Observer is inviting us to address the sorts of ethical issues which often confound us as we scurry about our daily lives.

In a way we have been seeing the impact of artificial intelligence as people join together for a common cause through Facebook and Twitter. Would the dictatorial regime in Egypt have fallen without them?

So, is Watson really HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey? Are we on the verge of a new cyber era without realizing it? Should Christian ethicists be helping us to muddle through these rapid changes in our culture? Discuss!

3 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

I'm shocked. Two people competing against a computer? It would be interesting to see, but it doesn't sound fair.

As wonderful as technology seems, I do worry that we are losing something. I'm not sure what that something is. It's not something I can put into words yet, but that picture of two people playing against a computer instead of a third person just does not sit right with me. Hmmm..I will have to ponder this some more.

IanD said...

I'm not sure what to think on this one, other than I wouldn't want to play against Watson, Brad or Ken. Legends, all three.

The main concern with the development of artificial intelligence has always been the potential for it to outstrip its creators'. Science fiction (from "2001" to "Star Trek") has grappled with it for years and there aren't any easy answers as of yet.

I hope, in the end, that all technological advances can be harnessed for the benefit of mankind, first and foremost.

Lynnof60 said...

Here's what I think. When you watch Jeopardy tonight. Ken and Brad will be pulling out an "oozie" (?) and saying "o.k. Mr. Smartie Pants (o.k. they may not use those exact words) show us how smart you are now!"
I can't imagine how frustrating this is for them. The fact is that Watson is not necessarily smarter but just "faster on the draw" (I am making it sound like the wild west)
As smart as Watson is (and I AM attracted to intelligence) the fact is if I needed a hug he would just leave me cold.