Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cold Alert


Cold enough fer ya? During the past few days it has been bitterly cold, at least by Southern Ontario standards.This morning's temperature was -18C, which isn't Prairie cold, but it's getting there. Of course wherever you are, and whatever the temperature, you woke up warm and even if you had to bundle yourself off to work you moved to another reasonably warm environment.

So, what if you lived on the streets of a city and rarely went inside? We have been hearing about mental health/illness issues this week but the consequences of those illnesses which lead to paranoia and delusions haven't been at the forefront. While living in Sudbury and Halifax I came to realize that many street people are mentally ill and won't live in close proximity to others even if it means ending up outside. The extreme cold alerts that are issued in Toronto are not for people like us who have homes and a measure of security. A response system goes into action which includes extra hostel beds and teams heading out to distribute sleeping bags and other survival gear. The people who do this work, including distributing food, are saints in my estimation.

I don't know about you, but I need the reminder that some people live like this. Our Christian story includes a saviour born as a displaced child, perhaps in one of the caves that still serve as sheep shelters around Bethlehem. We have romanticized the story to the point of irrelevance, but it can stir us to understanding and compassion.

Any experiences with those who are without shelter? Have you ever been in that situation, even for a night? How should we respond? Have a warm day.

3 comments:

roger said...

I completely agree about the important reminder that people live like this. Sometimes we get so caught up in not being happy with what we have, and striving for more and more material possessions, bigger houses, nice furniture, etc, that we forget that we have it pretty darned good already.

I really feel for the thousands of people who live on the streets who, as you state, suffer from mental illness.

As a police officer working the highways in Saskatchewan, I would get calls from motorists of people walking in the middle of the highway in minus 30 temps. Speaking with them as they sat in the back of the cruiser, enroute to the hospital, I thought how mental illness could strike any of us and how grateful I should be of my mental and physical health.

sjd said...

I have to work out side often, but I certainly avoided it today as much as possible. I can't imagine living out side this time of year. Even if it is southern Ontario, and not Saskatchewan.
My prairie friend scoffed at me yesterday when I told her how cold it's been here lately.
The question is how do you help these people when they are paranoid? T

Deborah Laforet said...

And I'm still scoffing.

Just kidding. I do know that -18 feels colder in Ontario. People talk about a dry cold, and now that I have experienced it, it makes a lot of sense. Although -18 does sound tame.

Fortunately, we don't have a lot of people living on the streets around here, although I'm sure Regina or Saskatoon have this concern.