Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sacred Pauses


Although Saturday is the traditional Jewish shabbat or sabbath, for many of us it becomes a run, run, run day, especially for parents. So does Sunday for that matter. Finding time to pause and make room for the conversation with God can be a challenge. I often feel that our busyness has become a new form of slavery.

While I was at the conference in Victoria last month I picked up a lovely devotional book which I would recommend to all of you. After I read the following prayer I sent it to our two twenty-something daughters and I share it with you.

God, I long to live in the present moment.
I want to stop trying to control the hours
so that new paths of inspiration are free to unfold within me.
I want to remember that I have the potential to be a blessing
in the lives of those with whom I live and work.

Take my scattered thoughts, my fragmented moments.
Breathe into them and draw them into your centred heart.
Open my eyes that I may see the grace that waits for me in every moment.
You are the Source of every moment’s blessing.
Teach me to live awake.

May this prayer come true in my life.

Shalom, and God be with you in this day.

No comments: