Friday, February 11, 2011

Kids, Jesus, and the Universe

I get approximately eight gajillion "forwards" from people, and they are both the bane and the delight of internet connectivity. Some I watch, but many I don't, even the 'ligous ones. If I took a gander at all of them I would have to cancel worship on Sundays and just about every other activity.

I received one from a delightful new mom whose marriage ceremony I conducted a couple of years ago. She lives at a distance, but it is good to hear from her. It is about a rather earnest young vicar who ends up at a kid's table at a wedding. He is barraged with the sort of "stream of consciousness" questions children throw at clergy, questions that are next to impossible to answer.
Amongst the readers of this blog are several colleagues who will appreciate how hilariously close to home this video clip is, and it will conjure up all those children's times that are hijacked by kids who are just too smart and "outside the box" for us. The rest of you enjoy watching us squirm, so I hope you take a look as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQak6ng0RXQ

Comments?

5 comments:

roger said...

"Can I ask another question?"
"Is this your last question?"
"No."
"Oh."

David, I am hoping you will comment again on this blog with some answers to these questions. I'm specifically interested in the polar bear scenario. Would the polar bear get zapped?

That was very funny. During future children's time sessions at St.Paul's, I am going to secretly be hoping they come up with some questions like these. Maybe we could plant some questions among the children.

Laurie said...

Thanks, it was a good way to start the day.
I too am hoping for some of the answers.

sjd said...

Ha! Ha! :)

I love it!

I remember a number of years ago in our Sunday school they were doing the story of Noah's Ark. After the story the teacher (Lois) asked if there were questions. My son raised his hand and asked what happened to all the little children? Why would god kill the little children?
I think that was around the time he told me as I tucked him at night that there were only 5 things he didn't know. I asked, what are those 5 things? He says I don't know. They are the things I don't know yet.
I think the older I get the longer that list gets.

Nancy said...

LOL! A great way to start the morning, thank you for sharing. And oh, so many questions. sjd, I hope your son doesn't have any questions on Sunday re loving thy enemy, I'm teaching Sunday School!! :)

Deborah Laforet said...

What a great question about the little children in the flood. I would really like to know how the question was answered. Talk about being put on the spot!

I actually love getting questions from children. At times, they can reveal a truth that only a child can see. I also see it as an opportunity to talk about faith with children.