Friday, February 18, 2011

Choose Me


It was a slick start to the day yesterday and I was aware going out the door for work that the footing wasn't the greatest. Yet who shows up at the church not long after I arrived but Gwenda, the St. Paul's member who folds the Sunday bulletins and stuffs them with whatever needs to be in them. She comes faithfully on Thursday mornings, and most of the congregation is probably unaware that she does so for an hour or more each week. The pay is lousy and the job in monotonous, but she wants to contribute. I should mention that Gwenda is 96-years-old. She drives herself to the church and we were relieved that she got here safely. We tell her not to take risks, but she is remarkably faithful.

I am inclined to say that in churches there are no volunteers, only disciples, and Gwenda is an elegant and committed disciple, having found her simple but meaningful calling. If only more people who call St. Paul's home figured they have something to offer, even for an hour or so each week. That said, we have a remarkable group of vol...disciples here, often doing rather thankless jobs with great dedication. A few hours after Gwenda left, a group of women and a couple of men fed a gym full of seniors an excellent hot dinner for Lunch Out. At the annual congregational meeting it seemed that my list of those to thank was endless. Still, we could use more who join the tribe of Gwenda.

Any comments about how folk contribute in your congregation? Do you ever wish more would answer the call? Do you feel that you have found your place of service?

6 comments:

roger said...

I'd love to help out at the Thursday lunch. My parents go each week and it's one of the highlights for them.

IanD said...

Gimme a list, and make me a Gwenda!

(That's amazing, by the way. What an inspiration! Please point Gwenda out sometime so I can thank her.)

Deborah Laforet said...

I struggle in our church in bringing in vol...disciples. Our board meetings seem to be getting smaller, property concerns get done months after requested (maybe), I've always struggled to get people to workshops and bible studies, and I can't find anyone to photocopy and fold bulletins.

Granted, we have a much smaller church, therefore less people to draw from, but I get the sense that people are getting tired and they are not excited by the work they do. This has been a great challenge for me as I continue my ministry here.

shirport said...

There is an elderly woman in our congregation who comes early each Sunday morning so that she can prepare and place small glasses of ice water in the pulpit, the reading lectern, at the piano and the organ for those leading in worship. It is much appreciated by us all. She told me that she was not able to do much in the church anymore but this was a small act of kindness that she was still able to manage. What a shining example of discipleship.

Nancy said...

We are regular volunteers at St. Paul's. I used to say, when asked to do Sunday School, that I taught all week and when I had kids of my own I would become involved. I've put my words into action now that we have a child. I do volunteer for SS, and help out with other youth activities. I feel we have to lead by example so that our children can become vol..disciples.

Yes, I wish more would answer the call, especially when new board members are needed and my other half is busy trying to recruit people and I have to listen to him go on!! Ian there is a place for you, just ask a board member as there is a list!

Johnny, I'm sure they would love new blood to help out with the lunch-out. My mother-in-law is 82 and serves those seniors, she should be reaping the benefits of the meal not serving at her age!! However, she feels it is something she can still do so she continues to serve.

Laura said...

I loved the "ice water" story "shirport".....reminds me of Mother Theresa'a adage "small things done with great love" Gwenda is a delight and an inspiration,truly. As are the lunch out folks...as I have watched each guest personally greeted, their coat taken and helped to their seat...I know this is so much more than just a meal...(although the meal always smells scrumptious.)