Thursday, February 03, 2011

Stating our Purpose

I'm almost done telling you about the conference in Victoria, called Epiphany Explorations. One of the presenters was Anthony Robinson, a pastor and congregational leadership teacher and consultant from Seattle, Washington.

I have appreciated his writing in articles and books such as Transforming Congregational Culture. It was good to hear him as well. In his presentation he offered that in this time of transition in the North American church we often get stuck. We act as though we have a technical problem which has some sort of speedy and logical fix, along the lines of "computer down? call the techie." It just doesn't work that way for congregations or denominations. There isn't a "young peoples' store" where we can order up replacement young families and their kids. At least I haven't found one!

Robinson suggests that we are in the work of adaptive change as congregations of the 21st century, and that we need to ask two key questions which he bases on the story of Pentecost in Acts 2. They are: "What does this mean?" and "What then shall we do?" He figures that congregations tend to steadfastly resist defining their purpose, that is, finding a succinct and memorable sentence or phrase to state who they are. In the end, Robinson says, out purpose statement "owns" the congregation. When we choose not to be specific about our purpose we tend to drift, and we need to beware "weak and safe" purpose statements and have the courage to make them "strong and bold."

So what do you think about this? Could you state your congregation's purpose? Should we be able to, or are we just "church?" C'mon folks. Dig a little here.

6 comments:

IanD said...

Certainly in the corporate world (and in other large organizations/entities) there has been a growing emphasis on "mission statements" that dates back some twenty years or so. Adhering to a carefully crafted statement of 'core values' though, is something that carries more than a little dubiety for me; especially since 2008. It all strikes me as kind of shallow or hollow.

Now having said that, if any organization were to have a 'mission statement,' it should be a church. Perhaps that's something we should put our collective heads together for at St. Paul's. It might crystallize priorities and/or lead to the kind of gains in attendance & new families that many are hoping for.

Laura said...

I am a firm believer in a mission statement,to clarify and unite many hands and minds to one common purpose.
My teen has just arrived home from a "visioning" meeting of sorts for our church band, and I could feel an increased energy towards her involvement as she understood their role in a bigger picture.
The excitement, energy and creativity need a seed.
I can't recall St Paul's accept that it seemed a bit generic..Living our hope..is a one-liner I fall back on in working with the kids.

janet.rice said...

St Paul's does have a very generic (to use Laura's word) mission statement written three ministers ago......perhaps an update is in order (it's annual meeting time!) to involve the congregation too.
Does this overlap with visioning or am I confusing the topics?

(Having finally figured out the technology to participate in blogging, I am now "off line" for a few weeks.....keep the conversations going!)

NJK said...

Decided to weigh in here (a day late) having been at St. Paul's for nine years. During that time I seem to recall urging the Board on several occasions to do some work around a Mission Statement or Statement of Purpose. (I can think of one all day Saturday workshop.) People seemed reluctant to engage and liked to fall back on the motto, "the light on the corner". At the time I thought there could be a better descriptor but that was where we stayed. So I send many blessings and great enouragement as you push forward on this. Having also been at Epiphany Explorations I quoted Robinson to my Council and then challenged them to state the purpose of Bracebridge United Church ... we are still thinking on it!

David Mundy said...

I was disappointed when churches first created mission statements. They were so bland. When I was in Sudbury it was one of the hospitals that had an incisive, bold mission statement, posted just beside the elevator. So it we're going to do it, as I think you rightly suggest we should Ian, let's say something.

Thank you for the historical perspective, Jan and Nancy. Perhaps we should revisit them every year. Nancy, St. Paul's is a positive congregation and perhaps that is the challenge. It's harder to bear down when you are relatively content.

I wonder, Laura, if we should invite our young people to state our purpose. It will be up to them anyway.

sjd said...

I've seen many wishy washy mission statements in my career. So much that I hated hearing them.
Now take a congregation like St.Pauls, and put us out there with a bold statemant. Something that makes people ask, "can they do that?"
The light on the corner? What does that light do? What is on the corner, and why does it need to be illuminated? What will I see if I step into the light?
What happens if the light goes out?

I'm no good at this. Too jaded by big business not living up to their mission statements.